"I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place," Trump tweeted.
1) Because our society does not believe women and children when they come forward to report abuse.
2) Because our society questions the character of the alleged victim rather than the perpetrator. Why were you at the party? What were you wearing? What were you drinking?
3) Because privilege protects power, and those in power will use their gender,class and race to protect themselves. For example, stating how a man’s career will be ruined by an accusation means we care more about the man’s career than the victims trauma and humanity.
4) Because retaliation is real and there is no coming back from coming forward. Your reputation and identity becomes victim. You become known by the worst moments that have ever happened to you.
5) Because perpetrators threaten and coerce victims into silence and convince them it was their fault, especially if that person is already marginalized by society due to their gender, race, class, age or immigration status.
These are just a few reasons why, whether or not someone reports has nothing to do with whether an assault happened or not.
Last week, I was on my way home and I passed a woman on her guitar. I had seen her several times before. Some people might look at her with pity but they would be rudely mistaken, she is brave to uncompromisingly chase after what sets her soul on fire.
Something told me to pause and talk with her. And I learned that she had once had a desk job but had left it behind to pursue her passion for music. She told me about her past hurts, her faith, and gave me advice about love. We even geeked out over the fact we shared the exact same birthday. This woman is a badass pisces.
She reminded me that creativity is invitation to play outside of our four walls. Women of color everyday release the magic inside of them through song, dance, art, poetry and forms of expression that we can't even put into words.
Sherry, captures the world through a camera lens, telling stories.
Damali, rises early with a by any means necessary approach to her writing.
Ashley's poetry is fire, scathing and powerful.
Whatever gifts you have, share them. Do not hold back your creativity its the only thing that breaths life. Creativity makes bearable the world we are in hopes of a newer world still to be created.